Friday, October 10, 2008

My MEME post about me!

Ha I think this is funny as most of you know all about me already. My good friend Julie tagged me on giving 6 random things about me. So here goes:

1. When I was ten I had a paper route. The boy Sean Jones (ohh a good one to look up on face book), who lived down the street in my neighborhood in Indianapolis, IN had the route and decided to give it up. I begged my parents to let me do it. I was 10 and I looked about 8. My mom and dad drove me almost everyday as the bag was too big for me to ride my bike. Thanks mom and dad for the support with my first job. Also this was my first lesson about people not paying their bills.

2. I have played tennis since I was 12. I can't wait to get back to ALTA. Once Maggie is old enough for school I am rejoining my old team. I miss them.

3. This one is a toughy---When I was 22 my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer. I was her main caregiver for 10 months. She died when I was 23. I quit college to take care of her and I don't regret it for a minute. I used to have to hook her up every night to a food supplement machine and monitor it all night and than disconnect it every morning. I spent 6 weeks sleeping every night in the hospital (St. Joseph's Hospital) with her. My sister and I played scrabble with her everyday and she kicked our butts even if it took her 20 minutes to make a play (she was on one of the highest doses of Morphine). When we brought her home to die I administered all her IV meds. I layed in her hospital bed (in our living room) every night and pushed the pain button every 15 minutes to help give her some relief. I found a healing priest (father Rookey) to help heal her and learned that you can be healed spiritually instead of physically. We said his prayer every night. I watched her take her last breath and it has forever changed my life. I miss her terribly. Her headstone reads something that father Lopez said Liz Bryant...courageous with a sense of humor. That was her in a nutshell.

4. I took summer classes in Montana. MSU in Bozeman and I hope to return there one day. It is the most beautiful place I have ever been.

5. Noah and I went to rival High Schools and never knew each other. We met 8 years after High School. We met at a party. He asked me for my phone number and I told him it was in the book and he looked me up that night and the rest is history.

6. My sister, Elizabeth, lives in the Chicago area. We talk everyday at least once and mostly three times a day. She is my rock and I can't imagine life without her. I wish she and I lived closer.

I am now going to tag 6 people. Sorry if you have already been tagged, but that just means you are very loved.

1. Kim Brown
2. Katie Harris
3. Antoinette Nichols
4. Brandi Greene
5. Amanda
6. Staci

6 comments:

Harris Boys said...

aw thanks mel...you know I love ya!!

you were in a black book..hoochie!! LOL

Harris Boys said...

I didn't know about your mom(meaning..I didn't know you took care of her)...what a strong young women you were at 22 to deal with all that. wow mel...

Karen said...

phone books ... I remember those!

What a wonderful thing you did for your mother. It speaks volumes about you as a person--especially to be so young. What a tribute to her.

Lori said...

That was so touching about your mom... I can't imagine how difficult that was.

The Lieses said...

I didn;t know that you took care of your mom that way. You are very strong to have done that at that age.

monica said...

I knew your Mom was in Heaven, but didn't realize how you took care of her. You were just a baby really too, wow. That is an amazing testimony of love. I am not that strong, I know this for a fact. You rock!!!